Everyone knows that it cost a lot to run a business. One of the easiest ways to save money is to keep your utility costs down. Here are some helpful hints to minimize energy costs.
Office and POS stations
- Laptops use 90% less energy than desktop models so choose a laptop when possible.
- Ink jet printers use 90% less energy than laser printers so choose ink jet when you can.
- Turn off as many computer components as possible on a nightly basis. This includes monitors, printers, and copiers.
- If you have Energy Star equipment, switch them to the power saving mode when not in use.
- Do not fill freezers and coolers above market load lines
- Do not overload displays, this will decrease your product quality and increase energy usage by 10-20%
- Inspect gaskets and door latches on a regular basis. Replace worn gaskets and adjust latches as necessary.
- Check condenser coils and clean with a non metallic brush on a monthly basis.
- Close vents in storage areas and closets and other unoccupied areas
- Use heat pumps instead of resistance electric heating systems
- Use ceiling fans to circulate cooler air and enhance cooling ability of air conditioner.
- Check air filters and air intake screens on a monthly basis and clean or change as needed
- Check fan belts on a monthly basis for any wear and replace as necessary.
- Inspect heating and cooling coils on a quarterly basis and clean as necessary
- Check ducts and vents on a quarterly basis for any damaged insulation that needs to be fixed.
- Once a year, clean fixtures and diffusers
- Choose task lighting instead of overhead lighting for work areas
- Switch out T12 lighting with a T8 system which is more energy efficient
- In unoccupied areas, turn off decorative and unnecessary lights
- Use lower wattage or energy saving bulbs where possible.